Sunday, January 29, 2012

A great blog about the urban winery (ours to be specific!)

Like most people, this person was confused by our location; however, like most people, they found that the urban winery experience at Chatham Hill is fun, relaxing, and worth repeating!

Sample lines: "If I worked in Cary, NC, Chatham Hill Winery would be my Wednesday night retreat from the pressed burdens of an over-starched corporate world. And probably Thursday. Maybe even Friday, too. As it is, I don’t live in Cary, NC, so I only had the opportunity to briefly visit one day after work as I passed through town."

Click HERE to read the blog on its homepage or read it pasted below.


A Corporate Life, An Urban Winery

If I worked in Cary, NC, Chatham Hill Winery would be my Wednesday night retreat from the pressed burdens of an over-starched corporate world. And probably Thursday. Maybe even Friday, too. As it is, I don’t live in Cary, NC, so I only had the opportunity to briefly visit one day after work as I passed through town. The winery popped up on my GPS, which is a rare occasion (but a welcome surprise), considering my nav system is a few years old already.

I let the GPS guide me to the winery but got a little nervous as I started snaking my way deeper and deeper into a corporate business park. After winding down several roads lined with identical brick buildings, I spotted a small inconspicuous sign. Tucked away among the other small businesses and practically hiding itself like a well-concealed, stray animal in the woods, Chatham Hill could have passed for any other business building. No glitz, no glamour, no snazzy oak barrels or rosebush-lined gravel driveways to lure visitors to a tasting. It just — fit in.

Clever Girl.

Convenient.

I’d certainly enjoy a corporate holiday party at a winery a block or two from my office. Not to mention that I’d be interested to meet the wine maker, a biochemist from Poland: Marek Wojciechowski, to learn a bit more about his wine-making technique (I had to write that name down to remember it, and I’m still not sure if I spelled it correctly). I can only assume that a biochemist making wines would be meticulous in ensuring that the wine-making process was completely controlled and precise.

The tasting offered about a 50/50 selection of typical varietals and “Sweet Carolina” choices. Oh, and did I mention that this was the first winery that used stemless glasses? It’s a welcome change from the copious amounts of stemmed glasses that currently fill my wine cabinet.

I especially want to tip my metaphorical hat to the efforts that Chatham Hill Winery contributes toward raising funds for Operation Homefront, a non-profit group that supports U.S. troops by helping the families they leave behind while on active duty. Not to mention that armed servicemen and women receive an additional 10% discount on purchases of single bottles of wine (15% for cases).

Overall, Chatham Hill is a unique environment. While it’s not flashy, I still enjoyed the environment for its open space conducive to catering toward corporate functions and appreciate their high-flying patriotic spirit.

Must Try:

  • Chatham Hill 2009 Merlot - A dry, black cherry nose, mellow tannins with hints of almonds and chocolate — a nice, delicate balance between fruits and tannins; a typical “mixing grape” before Merlots got heavy and spicy ($16)
  • Chatham Hill Christmas Red – a semi-sweet, zesty mulled drink with flavors of cranberry and candied cherry… reminiscent of the Gluehwein found at German Christmas Markets ($15)

Other Tasting Notables:

  • Chatham Hill Sweet Carolina White – A semi-sweet palimino with hints of grapefruit and lime aromas. Peach, nectarine, and honeysuckle flavors – similar to a semi-sweet Reisling
  • Chatham Hill Pomegranate – slightly sweet with a cranberry cherry aroma; zesty tart flavors and a unique, slightly sweet finish

No comments:

Post a Comment